Milton H. Greene
For over four decades, Milton H. Greene made his mark as one of the most celebrated photographers in the world. Born in New York in 1922, Greene began taking pictures at the early age of 14. He apprenticed with photographers Eliot Elisofon and Louise Dahl-Wolfe. By age twenty-three, he was referred to as “Color Photography’s Wonder Boy.”
A majority of Greene´s work in the fifties and sixties appeared in Life, Look, Harper’s Bazaar, Town & Country, and Vogue. Along with other eminent photographers, Richard Avedon, Cecil Beaton, Irving Penn, and Norman Parkinson, he is credited for elevating fashion photography to the level of fine art. As a director, he exhibited a remarkable rapport with his subjects. His willingness to be vulnerable, invoked an obvious ease around him, allowed him to create images of unequalled intimacy. His timing was flawless. He was shy, but his certainty behind the camera, revealed the qualities that best embodied his subject’s persona.
Greene’s most noted work is with Marilyn Monroe. They first met in 1953 on assignment for Look Magazine. In 1956, they formed Marilyn Monroe Productions together, which produced “Bus Stop” and “The Prince and the Showgirl.” By the end of their 4 year relationship, he had photographed her in 52 different sittings producing over 5,000 images, some of which have never been published. Many advocates of Monroe consider Milton’s collaboration with her to be the best and most genuine.
Greene’s photography won many awards; American Institute of Graphic Arts and the Art Director´s Club of New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Detroit. In recent years, Greene’s photographs have been exhibited in major galleries, museums and private collections around the world. Greene’s work continues to represent an era in time, which may gone but will always be reflected in his photographs.
- Fashion Leg (VHL-01)$1,500.00Add to cart
- Jacqueline Bisset (JB-141)$2,500.00Add to cart
- Judy Garland (JG-182)$2,500.00Add to cart
- Marilyn Monroe - Hooker Sitting (H-009)$6,000.00Add to cart
- Marilyn Monroe - Black Cape Sitting (BCP-05)$5,000.00Add to cart
- Marilyn Monroe - Hooker Sitting (H-001)$6,000.00Add to cart
- Marilyn Monroe - Prince and the Showgirl (PR-0761)$5,000.00Add to cart
- Marilyn Monroe - Rock Sitting (RK-40)$6,000.00Add to cart
- Marilyn Monroe - Wicker Sitting (W-05)$6,000.00Add to cart
- Marlene Dietrich - (MD-015)$3,000.00Add to cart
- Fashion Irish Fashion (IRF-185)$2,000.00Add to cart
- Fashion Irish Fashion (IRF-281)$2,000.00Add to cart